Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 02:02:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-186-1.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        mbac@nyct.net, karsten@rohrbach.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: idea: official hardware manufacturer blacklist - let's wake em up!

In reply:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Michael Bacarella wrote:
>

> > I love the idea myself, but I have no power over FreeBSD :(
>
> You may not like the shape of the world, but I don't think getting
> publicly nasty about it is going to have any positive effect.  It WILL
> have a negative effect, as FreeBSD would gather the reputation of very
> vindictive; it's even very likely that, somewhere along that road, a
> lawsuit over some wording would arise.

I call it consumer education.  Include call logs in such a list, let
the public decide if a honest effort was made to contact such
companies for information before being put on such a list.  Such call
logs can also speak for themselves, maybe add a column to the list for
number of times people are told "We only support Windows".

Nothing at all vindictive about it, in fact, an open invitation can be
posted to be forthcoming with information needed to create drivers, we
can point out the fact that there are millions of us, and it's just
that much more profit for them.

Where people see just cause for a boycott, they tend to support it,
thus any action taken against any such list [with documentation on why
they are on the list], will gain more people on our side.

We can even add a second list of those who open up after being put on
the list, proving that we aren't vindictive or nasty, and that all we
seek is the info it takes to create drivers with the same
functionality as the windows driver which they both wrote and supply.
It isn't as if we are asking them to hire support staffs just for
FreeBSD.

Don't read in things that are not being said, Chuck.  Nobody mentioned
getting nasty or vindictive, all I saw was a good educational
proposal, that would educate the general public about a problem.

A lawsuit over such would only make whoever brings it look bad.

> You just can't get what you want all the time.

If you don't do what it takes to get something, you surely won't get a
thing.

The boycott is a time-tested technique of getting what it is one
wants, especially from corporations.

Unless you convince the owner of a corporation that his wallet COULD
get lighter, or the shareholders the idea of lower returns, you won't
get the time of day out of them.

Which water fountain do you drink from?  Oh wait, that doesn't matter
anymore, some people got off their butts and changed things for the
better back in the 50's and 60's, without getting nasty or vindictive,
when in fact they had every right to come out shooting.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or