Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 16:12:20 -0400
From:      Raymond Law <flaw@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

What is the Boot: prompt mentinoed below?  How do I get it?

Q: I get a ``panic: cant mount root'' error when rebooting the system after
installation.

A: This error comes from confusion between the boot block's and the
kernel's understanding of the disk devices. The error
usually manifests on two-disk IDE systems, with the hard disks arranged as
the master or single device on separate IDE
controllers, with FreeBSD installed on the secondary IDE controller. The
boot blocks think the system is installed on wd1 (the
second BIOS disk) while the kernel assigns the first disk on the secondary
controller device wd2. After the device probing, the
kernel tries to mount what the boot blocks think is the boot disk, wd1,
while it is really wd2, and fails.

To fix the problem, do one of the following:

   1.At the Boot: prompt, enter 1:wd(2,a)kernel and press Enter. If the
system starts, then run the command

     echo "1:wd(2,a)kernel" > /boot.config

     to make it the default boot string.