Date:      20 Feb 2000 20:49:32 -0800
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssl in -current

> It would obviously not be hard to write a set of stubs for these
> things, getting those stubs called selectively in the "no real RSA"
> case also not being very difficult.  One way would be to put them in a
> lower version-numbered shared lib, like OpenBSD did it, so that the
> application would fall through to link against the stub version if
> librsaref.so.2 was not found.  Another, better way, would be to use
> weak symbols and a dlopen(), e.g.:
[snip]
> That way it's not an error to link against the openssl library without
> librsa, though if you do link with -lrsa and -lssl then you can also
> skip the stubs entirely and not encur the dlopen() overhead, something
> which makes the -static (or stand-alone) linkers happy.

I'm not familiar with OpenSSL's link lines, but here's a question.
Are linking with -lrsa and -lssl normally necessary, or is it normally
just -lssl?  If it't the latter, then programs that expect to link
against OpenSSL will succeed to build and link, but fail to run
properly.  I realize that every OS has its quirks for building
packages, but I find this sort of change vulgar.

Naturally, if OpenSSL-based programs *expect* to build against -lrsa
and -lssl, then I have no objections.

joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org