Date:      Mon, 14 May 2018 18:55:05 +0100
From:      Roger Pau =?utf-8?B?TW9ubsOp?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>
To:        Pratyush Yadav <pratiy0100@gmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to run Xen in a VirtualBox VM?

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 10:49:43PM +0530, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 10:30 PM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@citrix.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 10:25:21PM +0530, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I tried running Xen in a VirtualBox guest and it errors in the boot
> >> process giving this error:
> >>
> >> xenoprof: Initialization failed. Intel processor family 6 model 60 is
> >> not supported.
> >> Dom0 has maximum 600 PIRQs
> >>
> >> ***********************
> >> Panic on cpu 0:
> >> Error creating domain 0
> >> ***********************
> >>
> >> So, is it even possible to run Xen in a VM? If it is, how can I fix
> >> this problem?
> >
> > It's likely possible to run Xen + Linux Dom0 inside of VirtualBox, but
> > it's almost certainly not possible to run Xen + FreeBSD inside of
> > VirtualBox because it would require an emulated IOMMU, which I don't
> > think VirtualBox provides.
>
> I am working on the Xen grant table handlers (for my Google Summer of
> Code project [0]) , so do you think I would need to run Xen + FreeBSD
> when testing?

Yes, I think you will need to be able to run Xen + FreeBSD. You can
probably manage to complete the first part using Xen + Linux and
running FreeBSD as a guest, but you will need Xen + FreeBSD Dom0 for
the second part (adding handlers for mapping operations used by the
backend).

> Also, how can I fix the error I'm currently getting about Intel
> processor not being supported?

Which error? Can you please paste the full log?

Roger.