Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:21:50 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.org>
To:        J. Buck Caldwell <freebsd@bitparts.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SNMP access to pf ALTQ data?

On 8 jul 2006, at 09.18, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> Forgive the cross-posting, but I think I need a wider audience.
>
> Is it possible to track pf ALTQ usage with MRTG? I notice that
> FreeBSD's built-in bsnmpd has a module and mibs to support pf, but
> I know too little about SNMP to figure out how to access the queue
> stats.
>
> Specifically, I'm looking to make a series of MRTG graphs that show
> the total bytes that pass through each queue. I figure if worst
> comes to worst, I can work out a separate program that parses the
> output of 'pfctl -vsq' and returns that as MRTG-readable input, but
> it would be much smoother to get it via SNMP, if it can be done.

I got one of those, a small python script which feeds the data into a
rrd file:

https://svn.stromnet.org/repos/misc/trunk/rrd/pfque-rrd.py

Works fine, the only problem I have is when i reload my rules (that
is, reset the counters).. The graph goes mad ;)
Altough, if there is some way to do this via SNMP instead, I would
also like to know...
The above scripts uses tftp to move the rrdfiles to my graphing host.
I call it from crontab every minute.
For the graphing I use this:

https://svn.stromnet.org/repos/misc/trunk/rrd/pfque-graph.py

And the result looks like this:

http://stats.stromnet.org/router/details.php?file=pfqueue_out

If you look at the last month/year graphs, you see the problem with
resetting the counters..