Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:55:16 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.org, ache@nagual.pp.ru, ru@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/stdlib strtol.c strtoll.c strtoq.c  strtoul.c strtoull.c strtouq.c

[redirected to ports@]
Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> On  4 Sep, David O'Brien wrote:
> >> What do you mean exactly? Most of our libc files not have rcsids
> >
> > That does  not mean they  should not  have them. rcsid's  just haven't
> > been added yet. I explicited added  them to the files you removed them
> > from when I added *ll(). Please put them back just the way they were.
>
> BTW, most of the patches in the ports-tree don't have such IDs, but some
> do. Since those IDs are discarded as early as at the "make patch" stage,
> I think they  are pretty useless --  they don't make it  to the compiled
> binaries anyway. But what's the general opinion?

No, they are pretty useful, IMO. When the user has a problem you can verify
version of patches he has and after the problem is resolved tell him "update
patxh-xx to the rev.Y.X and you'll be fine". NetBSD for example has $NetBSD$
in all their patches, this also helpful when you need to steal patch from
the NetBSD ports collection and add it into FreeBSD one.

-Maxim