Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:57:40 +0900
From:      Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALTQ 1.1.3, support for FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE, started the work

Andreas,

>> I started to port your ALTQ 1.1.3 patches for FreeBSD 3.0
>> to FreeBSD-3.1.

The ALTQ patch for FreeBSD-3.1-RELEASE is already available from
http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/software.html

>> BTW, just curious, did you or somebody else play with WFQ ?
>> The authors say in the docu, WFQ isn't well maintained and
>> is missing hashing ... Do you thing using ALTQ brings advantages
>> like Cisco's implementation does ? All I want is, to get better
>> telnet / ssh performance over a 64 KBit ISDN line if UUCP/ftp
>> sessions saturate the link.

I believe that CBQ provides much better control over WFQ since WFQ is
not capable of controlling the peak rate of a flow.
See the following report by George Uhl at NASA.
http://corn.eos.nasa.gov/qos/qos_results_summary_july98.html

--Kenjiro