Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 96 13:59:50 EDT
From:      jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

Hi,

I'm sorry, my original statement about FreeBSD living entirely beyond the
1024th cylinder is not correct.  What happened is that I defragged my hard
drive and then used FIPS to partition my hard drive beyond my original
primary DOS partiton which had a size of > 500MB.  I then assumed from the
discussion in 'Installing and Running FreeBSD' that I must have FreeBSD
living beyond the 1024th cylinder.  The truth is I failed to look at my
Disk Geometry.  My Windows '95 hardware summary says that I have the following
geometry,

534 Cylinders
64  Heads
63  Sectors per track
512 Bytes per sector

I am not quite sure I completely understand this since I have a 1.6GB hard
drive and the numbers don't multiply correctly.  Unless of course Windows '95
is not couning the portion that is invisible due to FreeBSD.  This is probably
the case and I would have to write back with the complete geometry.  My question
is that although I have a working version of FreeBSD installed, I am currently
unable to mount my DOS partition without risking the integrity of the FreeBSD
slices.  When I attempt to mount, I get a message to the effect of

mounted size not a multiple of root partition

I am sorry I am unable to give you more detail, but I do not have access to my
system at the moment to give you the precise message.  I will follow this
message with the correct staments.  I presume that the problem lies in the way
I used FIPS to split my primary DOS partition.  To correct it, I guess I will
have to reinstall FreeBSD using FIPS to create the extended DOS partion that has
a geometry compatible with the primary partition.  What do you suggest?  Should
I create an extended DOS partition at the 'end' of the hard disk?  I would like
to make it >= 500MB with a geometry compitible for mounting the large primary
DOS partiton at the front of the disk.

Thank You,

JM