Date:      Tue, 1 May 2007 09:28:27 +0200
From:      "Victor Engmark" <victor.engmark@gmail.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to find HorizSync / VertRefresh rates?

On 5/1/07, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 30 April 2007 at 11:02:54 +0200, Victor Engmark wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a pristine xorg.conf, but I've been unable to
> > find proper values for HorizSync and VertRefresh for my Dell Latitude
> > D610.
> >
> > I've tried the values presented in MonitorsDB
> > <http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/src/hwdata/MonitorsDB?view=markup
> >
> > for "Dell 1400x1050 Laptop Display Panel", which are HorizSync
> > 31.5-90.0 and VertRefresh 59.0-75.0, but I get a warning in
> > /var/log/Xorg.0.log for both of them saying they are "not within DDC
> > ranges."
> >
> > I've tried looking around the Dell web pages, but I haven't found any
> > pages mentioning these parameters (not too surprising, really).
> >
> > I've tried to leave these settings out, but even then I get a warning:
> > (WW) I810(0): config file hsync range 60-66.3158kHz not within DDC hsync
> > ranges.
> >
> > I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the other warnings I get
> > during startup:
> > (WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
> > and
> > (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f05 failed.
>
> This, along with the follow-ups, reminds me of a problem I had with a
> Dell Inspiron 5100 some years ago.  In that case, X didn't map the
> video BIOS correctly, and so it wasn't able to read the information
> from the BIOS.  The information includes things like the panel
> geometry, which in my case was being reported as 65535x65535 pixels.
> In your case we have:
>
> >  # From Xorg.0.log
> >  DisplaySize  286 214
>
> That's clearly wrong too.

It's equal to the values in the
documentation<http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd610/en/ug_en/specs.htm>,
rounded off to integers.

See
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jul2003.html#25 for more details.
> It's worth mentioning that the problem was fixed in a later version of
> the system, and I can now install X on it with no problems.
>
> If this looks familiar, a couple  of suggestions:
>
> 1: Try XFree86.  Maybe that will work better.

I'm a bit reluctant to straying away from the recommended setup on my work
machine. Besides, isn't the code base for this and X.org still very similar?

2: Get hold of the latest Knoppix CD and see if that works.  If it
>    does, it might help fix the problem under FreeBSD.

Do you mean running
Xorg -configure
and see if it gives the right information? If not, could you elaborate a
bit? Thanks!

> 3: Use the method I described in my diary to build a server with a
>    static version of the video BIOS.

I'm not a C hacker, so I think this is a bit too far off.

PS to Erik O: Your return address is invalid.

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds