Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 16:01:21 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "Dave Preece (KB Group)" <dave.preece@kbgroup.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Kernel compile problem?

On 9/5/00, 8:30:03 AM, "Dave Preece (KB Group)"=20
<dave.preece@kbgroup.co.nz> wrote regarding RE: Kernel compile problem?:=

> > Just wondered if anyone could help me out here, Im trying to
> > cvsup from
> > 4.0-RELEASE to 4.1-STABLE and on a make depend on my kernel I get th=
> > following:
> >
> > =3D=3D=3D> agp
> > make: don't know how to make agp_if.c. Stop
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Anyone else getting this error on a build?

> Yup. I've spent the last hour or two banging my head on it. There's a
> variety of answers on freebsd-questions
>=20
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=3Dagp+cvsup&max=3D25&sort=3D=
score&sou
> rce=3Dfreebsd-questions). These include " 'make buildkernel' works fin=
e=20
",
> "RTFM /usr/src/UPDATING" and "get usr-share as well". None of which=20
work for
> me. I currently have a really minimal install, so I'm currently=20
installing
> all the 4.0 sources to do a cvsup with src-all then a make buildkernel=
=20
(or
> even a world) to see how it goes.

> Last time I tried cvsup'ing it was 3.3 to 4.0 and a complete disaster.=
=20
Had
> to use the CD's in the end (me=3Dlam3r).

> Dave

Dear Dave Preece,

people don't usually say,`please RTFM,' just for the sake of it :-)

There ARE reasons for laying down the procedure described in=20
/usr/src/UPATING. If you like, you can retrieve the discussions about=20
those reasons in the -stable archive (a number of HEADS UP after July=20
10, 2000), as well as recovering the historic[al] debate that would=20
eventually lead to the present method.  =20

You need to perform a buildworld in order to compile, as it were, your=20
new kernel on top of it. There is ONE source tree; kernel and userland=20
are designed "holistically", ie they are thought of as a harmonious whol=
e.

Albeit source updating is not a very difficult task, it is NOT exactly=20
a child's play: you are supposed to be careful, and to read the docs=20
and the mailing archives.

And yes, sometimes the world does not even build, or, if it builds, it=20
doesn't work correctly (cf eg the reports posted in the past few=20
days). As you may have noticed, these problems are usually fixed=20
within few hours/days.

Needeless to say, if you don't update your sources (ie if you don't=20
cvsup), you can safely use the classical kernel build sequence (config=20
[-r], make depend, make, make install).

Best regards,
Salvo