Date:      11 Oct 2000 09:27:09 -0400
From:      Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
Cc:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding '-gnome' and '-gtk' to package names

Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se> writes:

> It would be nice if e.g. pkg_info -I foo would list foo-1.0,
> foo-gtk-1.0, and foo-mysql-0.8 (with their comments). And it should
> not be _to_ hard (but don't hold your breath waiting for patches from
> me) to make pkg_info do just that, especially if we make sure there is
> no "other" uses of dashes in package names (as Jeremy Lea said we
> should).  We wouldn't have to change the naming for that.

Hmm. 'pkg_info -I' is a good idea, whether or not package options are
stored in the package name. I'll try to get some time to put a patch
together before I fly out to Monterey.

> When you have a ftp directory of built packages (or a cdrom), you
> better have some difference in the filenames if the packages are
> different ...

Good point. But does the name of the file holding a package need to
map exactly to the name of the package? If 'foo-gtk-1.0.tgz' installed
package foo-1.0 with the GTK+ extras, I don't think it'd be too bad.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs
magus@cs.cmu.edu -------------------------------- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~magus/