Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:35:56 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   GGI (was: Project Status)

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> As a short summary some of us want o turn FreeBSD into
> a decent desktop by providing high quality graphics
> support in the kernel.

I don't think this is what's holding back FreeBSD (or Linux) at all.
It's an old logical fallacy: Windows has graphics support in the
kernel; Windows is successful; so if we have graphics support in the
kernel, we'll be successful.

XFree86 is doing great, and getting better and better, in my opinion.
What's the problem?  Speed?  I have no problem playing DVDs on FreeBSD
or Linux, on an 800 MHz laptop without the benefit of a hardware
decoder or accelerated card.  Stability?  It's rock solid.  Features?
They're adding new features at a rapid pace -- with recent
improvements in freetype and Keith Packard's recent XFT stuff, the
font display is probably better than Windows or Mac, and the overall
ease of configuration is getting there.  With XFT2 you just need to
drop a font into your ~/.fonts directory, and XFT2-aware applications
can use it.  I think the next XFree86 version will also have
on-the-fly video mode selection.

For the people who say X is bloated, slow, etc: X was around in the
1980s before Microsoft Windows, and it ran quite nicely on
ridiculously slow machines.  SGI became a graphics powerhouse using X.

GGI looks like an interesting toy project (it's been around for a
while too).  No harm if interested people work for it.  But FreeBSD
and Linux already have all the infrastructure needed for a good
desktop system: people need to work on ease-of-use issues, which is
high-level software.

For a decent desktop, we need to support and use the efforts of
projects like KDE and GNOME, better integrate their system management
capabilities with FreeBSD, maybe come up with a better default
configuration of these environments as part of the install.

Incidentally, one serious missing feature for desktop users, on both
FreeBSD and Linux, is packet writing software for UDF file systems
(CD-RW).  (There are patches for linux.)  Is anyone working on that
for FreeBSD?  What about the other BSDs?

- Rahul