Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:52:04 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Francis Abella <abellaf@allcet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why is it deleting files on start-up?

In the last episode (Jun 19), Francis Abella said:
> I've just installed a program that creates a cache file in /var/run/
>
> Everytime I reboot, the cache file has been deleted and the program
> is hosed.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I should check to see what is deleting this
> file? I've checked the crontab for every user I can think of
> (root,toor,bin,qmail, etc...)

/etc/rc cleans /var/run on bootup, since according to the hier(7)
manpage:

          var/run/       system information files describing various
                         info about system since it was booted

i.e. it's supposed to be cleaned on every boot.  Your cache files
should go in /var/db, or some other directory.  If you want them to
persist between reboots, get them out of /var/run.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com