Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:40:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael E Mercer <mmercer@ipass.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade to 4.0 from 3.4 failure...

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Michael E Mercer wrote:

> I got all the way to 'config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'
> and everything just died. after playing with
> a few things, me and my infinite wisdom (should I say
> finite) decided to just installworld first then build
> a kernel before I reboot.. well this failed horribly
> and now nothing works... I always get signal 12
> when try to run make <anything>.

I think at this point you'll have to either:

1) download a 4.0 boot/fixit floppy and copy the kernel from there
2) reinstall from a backup
3) install a 4.0 binary snapshot.

The 4.0 userland can't work without a 4.0 kernel - if you can't get the
floppy kernel to work let me know and I'll put a copy of kernel.GENERIC up
for http.

Kris

----