Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:20:20 +0200
From:      Gabriel Linder <linder@jeuxvideo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Script to list ports knobs and options

Hi list,

First forgive me if this is not the ideal list for this thread, and
please redirect me to the good one.

After this discussion[1] I did spend some time in order to improve the
script provided by Maxim Khitrov, and here is the result :

- show all knobs supported by ports not yet installed, with an asterisk
if the knob is enabled in ports.conf (make.conf is not supported now)
- show all options supported by ports not yet installed, with an
asterisk if the option is enabled in /var/db/ports/$portname/options
- full color listing (only if CLICOLOR is defined and the output is not
redirected)

The goal is to tweak knobs (and options) before running make
config-recursive or make install. Work for me on 6-STABLE and tested
with xorg, gnome2 and some lighter ports. The files are available with
a screenshot at this URI[2], of course portconf is required.

I am aware of only one caveat : due to heuristics used to display
options, they may appear twice (this is why I used two colors to
display options). There are probably other problems, so don't hesitate
to point mistakes or inefficiencies.

I wonder if it could be integrated to the ports tree when finished,
what's your opinion on this ?

Thanks for your attention :)

[1]
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-August/156101.html