Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:13:03 +0200
From:      "Peter Schuller" <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   rfcomm_pppd fails (T40p and Nokia 7650)

Hello,

I've been trying to get connected using GPRS and Bluetooth on my IBM
ThinkPad T40p. It has a bluetooth card that sits on the USB bus, so
I'm using the ubt driver.

I am following the descriptions at:

   http://www.oook.cz/bsd/bluetooth.html

and everything works perfectly up until the point where I want to connect
using rfcomm_pppd. I run the following command:

   rfcomm_pppd -a 00:02:ee:73:89:0b -c -C 1 -d -l rfcomm-dialup

Where channel 1 is Dial-Up Networking (I also tried 2 - Bluetooth Serial
Port, just in case). When I do things one of two things happen:

   * Either it just exists after a little while, no messages.
   * Or it exits with:
        rfcomm_pppd[39117]: Could not connect socket. Connection refused (61)

On the phone side the bluetooth indicator indicates traffic is happening
for a while. However the GPRS indicator doesn't flinch (normally it's a
three-step indicator indicating either that nothing is happening, or a G if
GPRS is in the process of connecting, or an encircled G when GPRS is up and
running).

The laptop is paired with the phone and set as "authorized" on the phone
side. I have tried with hcsecd both on and off; and with
read/write_authentication_enable both 1 and 0, and so far no luck.

Besides this not working, the one "weird" thing I noticed was that once a
BT connection (as reported by read_connection_list) is established, it
doesn't stay up for long. After a timeot of just a few seconds it disappears
from the list. I don't know if this would affect DUN, but the guide doesn't
mention it and I know that a friend of mine is not experiencing such quick
disapperance of bluetooth connections in BlueZ on Linux with the same phone.
Is it normal?

(The connection comes back automatically when doing an l2ping or similar
though.)

In ppp.conf the only line in the default section that is not commented out is:

    set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
              \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

And my rfcomm-dialup section looks like this:

rfcomm-dialup:
  enable force-scripts
  set authname "test"
  set authkey "test"
  set phone "*99***1#"
  set login
  set timeout 30
  enable dns
  resolv rewrite
  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR

I've tried *99# as the phone number aswell, which is what is normally used.
The authname/authkey is currently set to test, but I have tried with it
empty aswell. (The local operator, Telia, is not using any login/password
combo, but my previous experience on other laptops with Windows tells me
that it often doesn't work when empty, as I have often had to use test/test.)

One last thing. I haven't gotten this to work in Windows either, but with
different symptomes. There the GPRS indicator shortly changes to a G
(meaning its connecting), and then goes down again. But using a terminal
problem an ATZ followed by an ATDT*99# is quite enough to get PPP started on
the phone. I don't know if the problems ar related.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org