Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:27:07 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feature request: sticky bit inheritance

--------------enig2E4C172526AE87581B107F4F

 Bez=C3=BCglich Julian Elischer's Nachricht vom 28.11.2013 01:05 (localti=
me):
> On 11/28/13, 12:17 AM, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>>   Bez=C3=BCglich Julian Elischer's Nachricht vom 27.11.2013 16:20
>> (localtime):

>>> not sure I fully understand what you mean by that..
>>> Do you mean write access implies delete access? yes..
>>>
>>> This can be modified with the nounlink flag.
>> The uunlink flags also prohibits the owner to delete his files as far =
as
>> I know. I want to prohibt users from deleting =E2=80=9Cforeign=E2=80=9D=
 files, even if
>> the user has write access to the parent directory (and I wanted to
>> explain that I don't understand why anybody would want that a user wit=
>> write access to a directory can delete files on which the user doesn't=

>> have write access).
>
> You can always unlink a file that is not yours if you own the directory=
=2E
> because the ability to unlink is purely dependent on the directory.
> You don't change the file, and it may in fact have other links

I have an idea why this kind of permission ist default: It's more
expensive to extra check the file permission copmpared to only check the
directory permission, the only part which will be altered any way. I
guess having the sticky bit set by default would cause extra I/O+check,
which might have been too expensive in the past=E2=80=A6 So the default w=
as to
do as less work as needed?!?

=2E..
>> I'd need every child directory of directories, who have the sticky bit=

>> set, also to have the sticky bit. The same behaviour as with the gid =E2=
=80=93
>> it's the same as the parent has for new directories.
> "patches accepted" :-)

Besides horrible C skills, I have no idea where and how to start :-(
I hoped somebody else with deeper knowledge is also suffering badly and
someone could at least estimate the effort (in hours) needed to
implement a inhert-stickybit kernconf option, or even better, a sysctl.
Maybe I can pay for it.

Thanks,

-Harry