Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 21:36:41 -0500
From:      Ford Prefect <fordp@guide.chi.il.us>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: troubles w/ DLINK DFE-530TX NIC

I recently did the same replacement on three machines, and had the
same/similar problem on one of them. go back to the kernel compile
directory and do a 'make clean' and a 'make depend' then rebuild your
kernel. it worked for me, hopefully you'll get the same results.

-Steve

At 01:10 PM 8/3/99 -0600, Brett Taylor wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I recently had my NE2000 clone NIC bite the dust.  I recently bought a
>DLINK DFE-530TX as the campus bookstore had them for $30 and I knew they
>were supported.  I picked one up, recompiled and installed a kernel with
>vr0 support, then shutdown, put the new NIC in a PCI slot (after removing
>the old card) and rebooted.  I'm running 3.2-STABLE.
>
>The problem I'm having is that the NIC is not being found on bootup.  The
>old card was configured as an ed1 (although it was the only NIC installed
>- I bought the system pre-built w/ FreeBSD-2.1.7).  I wondered then if I
>shouldn't configure the NIC to be vr1 - I rebuilt a kernel w/ support for
>both vr0 and vr1 support and tried again.  Still no luck.
>
>Does anyone have any experience using this card?  I'm using an
>ASUS-P155TPT4 motherboard.  I've read through LINT and the only thing I
>saw to add to the kernel was vr0 (I already have pnp0 compiled in).
>
>Brett
>Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
>                        brett@daemonnews.org              *
>							  *
>			http://www.daemonnews.org/        *

 \ Ford Prefect                   Ahead of my time.    \
  \ fordp@guide.chi.il.us           but only by a week. \
   \ homepage.interaccess.com/~fordp                     \
     \          ((In esperanto where available))           \