Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2006 00:12:39 -0400
From:      Paul Pathiakis <paul@pathiakis.com>
To:        Wes Santee <wsantee@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridge, networking, wireless cards, and ypbind.... (*sigh*

On Saturday 10 June 2006 01:00, you wrote:
> Paul Pathiakis wrote:
> > my rc.conf has:
> >
> > ifconfig_ath0="inet 192.168.1.24 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid my_ap mode 11g
> > mediaopt adhoc"
> > defautrouter="192.168.1.12"
> > nis_client_enable="YES"
> >
> > ifconfig -a shows:
> >
> > ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         inet6 fe80::213:46ff:fe94:75c3%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> >         ether 00:13:46:94:75:c3
> >         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <adhoc>
> >         status: associated
> >         ssid my_ap channel 3 bssid 02:13:46:94:75:c5
> >         authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 36 protmode CTS burst bintval
> > 100
> >
> > I assume that since the bssid shows the MAC address of AP, it is bound.
>
> Why isn't the ath0 card in promisc mode?  I thought it pretty much has
> to be in order for the bridge to work (both NICs in my bridge stay in
> promisc mode).
>
> I'm not sure if you're using "device if_bridge", or "options BRIDGE",
> but if it's the former, and you're running traffic through pf, take note
> of the warning in the if_bridge man page:
>
> The bridge may not forward fragments that have been reassembled by a
> packet filter.  In pf(4) fragment reassembly can be disabled in the
> scrub option.
>
> That's just my guesses for places to look based on the info you described.
>
> Cheers,
> -Wes

Thanks, Wes.

Sorry, but nothing more to report.

I am using if_bridge as my rc.conf shows I clone the interface and create the
bridge.  This autoloads the if_bridge.ko as shown:

1   12 0xc0400000 534520   kernel
 2    1 0xc0935000 121e4    geom_mirror.ko
 3    1 0xc0948000 10958    if_ath.ko
 4    3 0xc0959000 26b60    ath_hal.ko
 5    2 0xc0980000 40ac     ath_rate.ko
 6    1 0xc0985000 58554    acpi.ko
 7    1 0xc3567000 8000     if_bridge.ko
 8    1 0xc3661000 4000     logo_saver.ko

Pretty much I copied this from the ath man page:

           ifconfig ath0 inet up ssid my_ap media DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap
           sysctl net.inet.ip.check_interface=0
           ifconfig bridge0 create
           ifconfig bridge0 addm ath0 addm fxp0

Seems that once I rebooted, both interfaces came up in promiscuous mode, so
that's a no go now.  I still believe it to be a frag/UDP/RPC issue.

Wes do you or anyone else have any further insight?

Thank you,

Paul Pathiakis