Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:51:39 -0700
From:      "Brent Wiese" <brently@bjwcs.com>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   is this a gif() problem or something else

I am running an ipsec tunnel (gif/racoon) between an Alpha Freebsd box
and a win2k box. I actually have several tunnels and they all set up and
work.

The key to this particular tunnel is that the servers are only a few
hops away on a 100mb uplink.

While transferring a large file (approx 900 mb), I'm seeing about
75mb/s, which is great. However, about 75-80% of the way thru, the alpha
reboots and this error is logged in dmesg:

fatal kernel trap:

    trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
    a0         = 0x1c795105b6a647
    a1         = 0x1
    a2         = 0x0
    pc         = 0xfffffc00004adec0
    ra         = 0xfffffc00004a5b1c
    curproc    = 0

panic: trap

syncing disks...
fatal kernel trap:

    trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
    a0         = 0x58
    a1         = 0x1
    a2         = 0x0
    pc         = 0xfffffc00005c4c84
    ra         = 0xfffffc00005cbcc8
    curproc    = 0

I watched the load manually during the xfer and it never peaked over .81
that I saw. I'm suspecting this is either a problem w/ the gif() code
(maybe specific to alpha build), a heat problem or a bad stick of RAM?

Was curious if this rang any bells. I'd hate to spend a ton of time
chasing down false leads if someone else has already been through this.

Thanks,
Brent