Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:40:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Steve Roome <steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast.  Get used to it.  (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Randall Hopper wrote:
>  |and voxware is an acceptable loss.  once the isa shims are gone, voxware
>  |will not compile without being newbusified which is a task of great
>  |magnitude.  at this time, the point is moot.
>
> Is it?  You own a 400 room apartment building.  You've built a
> brand-spankin new 200 room apartment building with a pool.  Cool.  Now you
> say to the residents, "Everybody over to the new building with the pool.
> We're gonna blow the other one up!"  Do you really think the residents in
> the other 200 rooms are going to sleep on the the street while you expand?
> There are other apartments....

Not to mention that the new pool doesn't have a water filter, and in some
cases the water just pours upwards out of it...

[ Just one more vote for voxware to stay - even though I can't use it with
my card =( ]

Anyway as long as the average desktop user can play CD-audio, record from
the microphone or line input and perhaps use fxtv, play quake and the odd
midi then pcm is fine and voxware ought to go ?

Reasonable Questions :

With the newpcm code will it be easy to get linux voxware apps supported
through linux-emulation, and will it be feasible to port old (and new)
voxware apps to newpcm ?

Also, would it be possible to provide a compatibility library so that
voxware specific calls could be made through it and turned into newpcm
calls ? (or is that a pipedream/impossibility ?)

	Steve