Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 11:42:05 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
To:        raistlin@ecp.net (Justen Stepka)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS

> I would personaly run FreeBSD on all the machines because if you want to
> export the shadow stuff it's insecure and your users will be able to see
> the passwd feild. FreeBSD's NIS is like SunOS in that the passwd feild is
> not shown with any ypcat map.

Thanks for the suggestion, I would love to have all the machines on FreeBSD
but I have to leave the terminal servers running Linux use the transparent
proxy feature of the Linux kernel to save users having to set the proxy
server in their browser.

Despite lots of prodding, I found that only 40% of users were setting proxies
and at $0.19c per MB inbound traffic in Australia, proxies are a must.

I grabbed the DES stuff and installed it, haven't figured out how to build
the password database on the FreeBSD box from the password files on the
linux box but a bit more reading should have that under control.

So the question is how to make the most secure NIS set up between the Linux
boxes and the FreeBSD ypserv machine?

- Ernie.