Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:46:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Johny Mattsson (EPA)" <Johny.Mattsson@ericsson.com.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, wpaul@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newcard/cardbus instabilities

Firstly, please don't send HTML mail.  It's bad, and people have a hard
time dealing with it.

> Semi-recently grabbed a snapshot of -CURRENT (from 03/06) to see if I could
> finally get my 3Com 3c575C Fast Etherlink XL cardbus lancard to work. I saw
> it mentioned in the HARDWARE.TXT so I decided to give it a go. What I didn't
> realize was that the newcard/cardbus was still in its early stages. So what
> I am experiencing now is that the card is properly detected (which doesn't
> happen with the card/pcic devices), _but_ when using it, I experience
> frequent timeouts and delays.
> The xl driver spits out numerous "xl0: watchdog timeout", and I get pings
> around the one second mark, even to machines on the same switch. Trying to
> maintain TCP sessions without keeping a running ping in the background is
> futile, due to the packet loss.
>
> So basically, I'm wondering what I can do to help getting this fixed? I very
> much want to see proper cardbus support (having to run windoze to get net
> connectivity is highly annoying and counter productive).
> I don't have any means of running cvsup regularly (stuck behind heavy
> firewall), and I unfortunately have no experience with writing device
> drivers, but should otherwise be able to tweak code as instructed. I'll be
> happy to be a testbed for the 3c575C (and I'll be very happy when I can
> report that it seems to work flawlessly!).
> pccbb0: <TI1225 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 4.0 on pci0
> pccbb0: PCI Memory allocated: 44000000
> pci_cfgintr_unique: hard-routed to irq 10
> pci_cfgintr: 0:4 INTA routed to irq 10
> cardbus0: <Cardbus bus (newcard)> on pccbb0
> pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on pccbb0
> pccbb1: <TI1225 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 4.1 on pci0
> pccbb1: PCI Memory allocated: 44001000
> pci_cfgintr_unique: hard-routed to irq 10
> pci_cfgintr: 0:4 INTB routed to irq 10

This looks OK, though you might want to disable the pccard support, since
it's known to be broken right now.

> pccbb1: card inserted: event=0x00000000, state=30000b20
> pccbb1: pccbb_power: CARD_VCC_0V and CARD_VPP_0V [44]
> pccbb1: pccbb_power: CARD_VCC_3V and CARD_VPP_VCC [11]
> pccbb1: bad Vcc request. ctrl=0x33, status=0x30000b20

That's a bit ugly.

> xl0: <3Com 3c575C Fast Etherlink XL> port 0x3000-0x307f mem
> 0x44020000-0x4403ffff,0x44002480-0x440024ff,0x44002400-0x4400247f irq 10 at
> device 0.0 on cardbus1
> xl0: chip is in D6 power mode -- setting to D0

I'm a bit worried about this; "D6" doesn't really exist, so it's possible
that something is going wrong here.

Bill; you might have some better  ideas than I do.  Suggestions?