Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 18:41:18 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which release of 4.1 supports i810 with XFree86 4.0.1?

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:11:47AM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > Perhaps X 4 is beta, but X 3 does not work or work poorly on some video cards
> > which are amongst the best on the market (GeForce). So a shift to 4.01 will

You are amongst the people for whom the GeForce works well. Fine.
Unfortunately my own one does work poorly. It is a GeForce 256 (as recognized
by the SVGA driver) and on FreeBSD the screen rapidly becomes corrupted.
Since i can dual boot linux, i can see that here this corruption problem does
not occur, for whatever reason i don't know, but i cannot get a greater
resolution than 1024 x 768 (above screen remains black) which is poor on
a 17" Iyama screen.

> Hmmm.  Tell that to my GeForce card - it appears to work just great
> with 3.3.6 and has for some time now. :)
>
> I also don't think that "a shift to 4.01" would be advisable for
> anyone, no matter what card they have.  As others have already
> eloquently stated, XFree86 4.x is extremely BETA right now and does
> not even support the full set of cards which 3.3.6 does.  It should be
> considered a developer's release only, and by "developer" I mean
> "XFree86 developer", e.g. someone suitably skilled in hacking on X
> servers and capable of assisting the XFree86 project in polishing it
> up for more general consumption.

I can confirm what you say. I have spent my afternoon compiling X 4.01
i have run X -configure (which recognizes the same chip) and X and all that
happens is that X coredumps and leaves me without terminal. Same replacing the
nv_drv driver with the binary nvidia driver. I have carefully applied
everything in the README's including compilation of nvidia linux kernel module
and making of devices.

During the compilation i have seen a lot of -DUSE_MMX floating around which
makes me wonder wether this is appropriate on an AMD processor. I will look
more carefully at the Makefiles.

> > To speak for my case, i have received mail that GeForce works with X 3 but my
> > own works very poorly, if at all. I am obliged to go to 4.01 and install
>
> You really should try it for yourself rather than believing the mail
> you receive since "very poorly"

The mails said that the GeForce worked fine on FreeBSD and this is why i
bought one. At present i am reduced to run my freebsd box on terminal mode.
Hope i will find some issue to that.

Note that this is not the only problem with that machine. The floppy drive is
able to read and write fine, but fdformat does not work under freebsd. The
formatting works under Linux and Win98. Go figure!

> does not describe my own experience at
> all.  3.3.6 works just fine with all my current graphics cards
> (Voodoo3, GeForce, G400).
>
> - Jordan

Michel Talon