Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 22:20:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NOT FreeBSD Branding project recommendations

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Wes Peters wrote:

>"Jason C. Wells" wrote:
>>
>> I don't know. It looks like the input has tapered off. I did not even spur
>> a flame when I asked people to get busy. You did say that (loosely) "When
>> input tapers off I will collate the list and put it to a vote."
>
>I don't think it's even had a chance to START.  Maybe I'm drastically
>overestimating the size of -advocacy, but we've only had 6 or 7 replies
>so far, and I'd hate to cut it off until after the weekend.  If the
>reply rate doesn't pick up over the weekend, I'll summarize the results
>and post them here.

I guess there is no real hurry as long as the listing process doesn't die.

>In the meantime, I've got an hour or so this afternoon; I'll go try to
>put our current list together and post it back, so others can (hopefully)
>add to it in a neat, orderly manner.

Good Idea(tm)!

>> You have taken the lead. This may seem undemocratic. I propose to you that
>> collate the list (of branding names at least) now put it to a vote and
>> keep the current momentum.
>
>Yeah, but reluctantly, and only because everyone else here has such a
>proclivity to "tangetize."  If we ever want this discussion to go
>somewhere, somebody has to keep kicking it back on track, and you're
>the only help I've had.  Which, by the way, makes you the semi-official
>deputy logo advocate.  Or is that vice-advocate?  ;^)

Sure.

>Actually, we already set one a couple of months ago.  Daemon News.  This
>is an attempt to do it again.  Last time I managed to get someone else
>to pick up the reins and drive the cart, which has worked well because
>I'm great at building carts and not so great at driving them.
>
>This effort is going to require somebody to continue to babysit it after
>the initial work is done, and so far YOU (Jason) are the prime victim,
>er, candidate.  If you want to take over now, and just let me throw
>suggestions, I would be ecstatic to have you take the lead.  OTOH, I'm
>not going to drop this if somebody else doesn't come along, I've invested
>too much effort and engergy over the last three weeks to let it fall on
>the floor.

I will let you have it at least until the initial voting is done.

Does freebsd dedicate a space to advocacy on it's website. I had
previously tried to propose a charter. Tangetization was a problem. It
seems that -advocacy is forming an identity anyway. Perhaps it is time to
spawn an "Advocacy Project" with Daemon Newswriting and Branding as it's
primary activities.

Daemon news is nice in that it is not a moving target. I have written a
small article about my trip down the path to BSD. I will submit it after I
take a second look at it.

Perhaps we can talk once again about "sanctioned advocacy" activities. I
say let the branding effort get a head of steam before we really try to
"officialize" advocacy too much.

I do like the recent post "Don't ask for permission. Just go for it."

>As far as getting this kicked out the door goes, we certainly don't expect
>this to be a closed list EVER.

Neither do I. We can make the policy surrounding branding well defined
though. I would hate to confuse people with something designed to make
FreeBSD computing more clear.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/