Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:32:14 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Advocacy List <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Advocacy Site link on Yahoo!

Will Andrews wrote:

> On 27-Aug-99 Francisco Reyes wrote:
> > That is a good thing no matter how it got there.
>
> I'm not so sure about that. It may in fact be a bad thing since not only folks
> here can find out about it easily, but those who use yahoo (what, 20 million
> hits a day or something?) can also find out about it.
>
> It is (I believe) not desirable for a full-blown "announcement" of the site at
> this time. It would make development of the site harder for Preston and others
> who are working to make it better rather than help users.. ;-)

	I would agree with this.

> As for the domain name, I think it's actually better if it remains as
> "freebsd.tesserae.com", or if it takes upon its own domain name. That will give
> it a sense of "separation" from the official FreeBSD project, which I think the
> core team would prefer. ;-)

	I would also tend to agree with this.  While I don't know exactly what
the core teams feelings are exactly on the subject I'm sure they would
like it if they weren't dragged into this also.  I think it's a very
good idea to let another group of FreeBSD heads run this site.  After
all, no one expects Linus to be running/coding/writing for Slashdot.

	I also think a new domain name would go along well with a new name in
general.

--

Joseph Scott

joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu
CSU Sacramento - Office Of Water Programs