Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:10:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/25102: mod-php4 wrong (for me) dependencies

The following reply was made to PR ports/25102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To: Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc: roelof@eboa.com, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:04:26 +0100

 Matthew Emmerton wrote:

 > Looking at pkg-plist for both ports, you'll notice that they both install
 > binaries and static libraries of the same name, but shared libraries get a
 > version bump.

 Yeah, but what about the rest of the LDAP ports? I know I could check
 all, but... First there was the gd thing, who btw does not recognize
 the freetype port or something, then libmcrypt, now this. Aarrgghh!!

 I'm - so what else is new - on a too tight schedule <g>. With hindsight
 that is.

 > Since one would expect that v2 would be backwards compatible with v1, then
 > you should probably be safe installing v1 and then installing v2 on top -
 > that way you get v1 shared libraries, which I believe is all mod_php4 will
 > use.

 Now it uses the v2 libs <g>. That I checked in the PHP4 README's.
 I just patched the Makefile.inc, it works. I would've just liked to
 patch beforehand, not behind the fact. Installing two possibly
 conflicting ports make me nervous. Who knows what side effects lurk
 in the dark?

 > If you've got other programs that rely on the v1 API, utilities or static
 > library, then you most likely will run into problems due to API changes.

 Yeah, well, the PHP4 docs do talk about LDAP v2, so...? What do I
 know, I'm just an ice cone salesman! But one who wants to run v2
 *only*. If that means waiting for next versions of PHP4 to cooperate
 with it, so be it. *That* can wait <g>. LDAP v2 cannot and no way
 do I want to end up, somehow, reading v1 docs thinking it to be
 v2 docs. Been there, done that, didn't like it.

 Roelof

 --
 Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.
 Nisser home -- http://www.Nisser.com/