Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 1996 17:43:41 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup doesn't remove old patches, doesn't put things in the Attic

> Sorry, got the wrong subject ....
>
> Here again with correct subject, to address the right people...

OK, I suppose I'd better repeat my reply with the new subject ...

I think I know what's going on.  It's not really a bug.

First of all, what _are_ those files "patch-a[b-d],v" on your
system?  Are they really patches for xpaint?  Why don't they exist
in the CVS repository?  Even if they had been removed with "cvs
rm", they should still exist in the Attic.

I will assume that they really are old patches, and that somebody
erroneously deleted them from the CVS repository, instead of using "cvs
rm" as they should have done.  Still, I think CVSup did the right thing.
Here is what I think was the sequence of events:

1. The patches existed both in the main repository, and in your local
copy.

2. Somebody deleted the patches from the main repository, but they
remained in your local repository.

3. You started using CVSup for the first time.

In that case, CVSup would consider "patch-a[b-e],v" to be extra,
unknown files in your local repository.  It didn't create them,
and there's no trace of them in the master repository.  It doesn't
know anything about them -- and so it won't delete them.  It will
never delete anything that it doesn't know about.

That's what I think happened.

John