Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:49:48 +0100
From:      Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Maxtor Diamondmax 8.4 (UDMA33) + WD Caviar 3.2 (UDMA33)

Sorry if this has been posted to the wrong list.

I've been running 2.2-stable, then 3.0-current for about 5 months on my WD
Caviar 3.2 (UDMA33) disk, without any trouble. I used a 16x CDrom as
Secondary Master.

Recently, I added a Maxtor Diamondmax 8.4 (UDMA33) disk to the system as
Primary Slave. This worked out for about three days, then the disk suddenly
started reporting files of immense size, and after a while started
reporting that it was an Oaxzor-some-or-other during the wdc0 probe. During
the course of that day, the disk failed utterly, and was recognized with
various geometries (sometimes not being detected at all), and yielding I/O
errors upon any attempt at accessing it in any way.

I got a replacement disk from the importer, and it worked fine for about 3
hours, before exhibiting the same symptoms. I then moved it to the
Secondary Slave, where it was successfully detected. However, I was unable
to boot it, as the BIOS could not detect it. (Booting from a floppy
detected it just fine)

I then replaced the 3.2 with the 8.4, and lo' and behold, it seems to work
like a charm, with some exceptions. I've not tried it for more than about
12 hours, though, and the probe reports some wierd characters after the
Maxtor some-or-other bit with the wdc0 probe. Also, the BIOS hangs for
about 15 minutes while detecting IDE devices, and reports secondary slave
failure (even though I've got none, and have reset the BIOS information). I
have to use a custom boot floppy, without wd3, because wd3 always hangs the
installation with maxed out tracks, heads and sectors count.

I don't have any dmesg outputs or such right now, may post these later if
that would help.

I have used a setup w/FreeBSD on Primary Slave with Connor disks
successfully earlier. (The connor disks were not UDMA)

It makes no difference which flags I pass to the wdc drivers.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get these two drives to co-exist? Right
now, I need the data from the 3.2, and don't have any way of transferring it.

Thanks.

.oO[¨ Marius Bendiksen ¨]Oo.
  Dead girls don't say no.