Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 18:25:44 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Contradiction in the FDP-Primer?

Just been tidying up some markup in the handbook using the FDP primer
as a guide for the correct way to do things and came across what
appears to be contradictions.

10.1.3.2. Special tags

Some tags just don't follow the indenting rules of the previous section; <screen> and <programlisting> should always be
left-aligned.

    <informalexample>
    <programlisting>
    </programlisting>
    </informalexample>

<informalexample> also should be left-aligned when it wraps a <screen> or <programlisting>.

These examples should be separated from the rest of the content by a blank line before and after.

Yet earlier, in "Example 4-43. <replaceable>", I see:

Use:

    <informalexample>
      <screen>&prompt.user; <userinput>man <replaceable>command</replaceable></userinput></screen>
    </informalexample>

The example above also highlights another apparent contradiction. This
shows the use of <screen> and <userinput> but in "3.1 Overview" it
uses:

More precisely, they need help identifying what is what. You or I can look at

      To remove /tmp/foo use rm(1).

          % rm /tmp/foo

[snip]

The previous example is actually represented in this document like this;

So, which is the correct (or preferred) way to show something like

    % rm /tmp/foo

Note I'm not asking about displaying *interactive* stuff such as

     % ls
     file1
     file2
     file3
     % su
     Password:

type of thing as that always uses <screen> and <userinput> to
differentiate between user and program output text.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie