Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 01:47:54 +0000
From:      Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@jaxon.net>
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port of ext2fs fsck

Chris Piazza wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 12:26:57PM -0500, Donn Miller wrote:
> > Is there such a beast?  This would be a big big help to those who
> > administer Linux boxes from FreeBSD machines.  And, it would make
> > life easier for those of us who dual-boot with FreeBSD and
> > Linux.  Basically, I'd like to see a port of e2fsck in the ports
> > collection.
>
> I have no idea how much work it'd be, but you or someone else
> could try porting NetBSD's fsck_ext2fs some time.  That would
> be what you need.
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/basesrc/sbin/fsck_ext2fs/

Yes.   Porting their fsck_msdos might be useful too.   fsck(8) under
both NetBSD and OpenBSD is a simple program that executes the
appropriate fsck_xxx command for a given filesystem type (just like
mount(8)).   I think it would make sense to adopt their approach, as it
also allows for new filesystem types to be seamlessly integrated into
fsck(8) (e.g. fsck_ntfs).   Their fsck_ffs is virtually identical to our
fsck, so I imagine porting other fsck_xxx's shouldn't be too hard.

Alex