Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 16:52:00 -0800
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Desktop

At 03:55 PM 12/24/98 -0800, Ben Manes wrote:

>> Lately, I have basically evaluating the X Windows system, and I just can't
>> figure out why it hasn't been made any easier for average users.  I can't
>> figure out why antialiased fonts (such as true type fonts) haven't been
>> made the standard.  I can't figure out why there hasn't been a solution to
>> the problem of not having a standardized Interface (or a few standardized
>> interfaces to choose from when developing applications or whatever - choice
>> isn't a bad thing).  I can't figure out why the standard X libraries and
>> widget set hasn't been given the 90's look and feel (ala qt libraries).
>
>I'd guess that all of that can't be standardized because UNIX is a mob of
>different standards. If some group says here's the standard, do you
>really expect Sun, HP, SCO, DEC, BSDs, Linux(es), etc. to all just jump
>in and embrace it? The momentum behind Linux is against standardizing,
>because to many that's what they conceve windows to be. Once you
>standardize, you reduce choice, power, and expandability for greater
>functionality. UNIX is slowly evolving in functionality.. but it has a
>ways to go and I'd rather developers find ways to make it more user
>friendly so any desktop enviroment can be used, but all efficently. Its
>harder, but doesn't hinder progress (ie. windows is built on dos to
>provide functionality, and therefor both 9x and NT (which has to be
>compatable with 9x) are hindered).
>
>> Well actually that's one reason I don't get rid of windows. She also likes
>> AOL Instant Messager so she can keep in contact with her family.  The tcl
>> version seems to need some work.  I don't know anything about the java
>> version to evaluate it.
>
>Tell her to switch to ICQ. Aol bought them, and will likely replace
>instant messanger sooner or later. Also, ICQ is working on a X-windows
>version (a friend is on a command-line version), so watch for it... ICQ
>also has more features..

But then practically her whole family will have to switch to ICQ right?  I
mean, ICQ and Instant Messanger are totally different things right?

>> I'm just wondering is there an alternative to X Windows?  Has another
>
>I think X Windows is just an artifical name for the UNIX guis. Solaris
>and BSD have different programming for their GUIs, but there both X and
>run ontop of the UNIX kernals.

Solaris has the OpenWindows thing right?

>> I have also been wondering if a java based window manager can be created
>
>Java is slow, and since X windows is meant as for the person siting at
>the workstation, its pointless writing it (or a windows manager) in a
>language meant for streamlining the data through a network. C++ is far
>faster and so it makes more sense.. and picoJava (a Sun java accelerator
>chip) was killed and may one day be integrated into systems, but those
>are set-top boxes, handhelds, etc.

I see.  I just thought that maybe it would be easier to write in java
because it comes with widgets and stuff.  Although, couldn't java be
comipiled in a way that it runs natively on say an Intel achitecture?

>Oh, and about being hating christmass.. I know the feeling..

heheh  Christmas....Bah...Humbug!

Joey -- The Grinch