Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 16:45:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Douglas M. Breault" <doug@ns.sdlcomm.com>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        java-port-bsd@portia.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, bsdi-isps@gateway.com
Subject:   Re: Java support in BSD kernel!?

(I'm not a Java, Linux, or BSD guru.)

I was being stupid I guess, but I assumed that because the Java port for
BSD wasn't completed yet, that I couldn't run Java from the server. The
point I didn't get, and that some other ISP's may not get, is that
you CAN compile Java code on other platforms and take the .class file, place
it on your BSD server and call the .class from HTML pages. So now I simply
write the Java code on a Win 95 machine (until the BSD Java port is ready)
and copy the classes over to BSD.

Now, that's basic functionality. As for the difference between Java apps
and applets and which ones will/will not work under this scheme...not
sure. Java is just a side thing for me.

Hope this helps someone else who was waiting on the BSD Java port.
-Doug