Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:47:48 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng upgrade "unable to find catalogs" - with key installed

--aNrRVSjHvB4CaVexBGn7gmJhp6qfTBGOc

On 09/01/2014 16:50, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> Trying to upgrade from pkg 1.1 to 1.2 on FreeBSD 9.1. I have
> /usr/share/keys and the current trusted key, and a repo config
> file. No pkg.conf.
>=20
> # pkg upgrade
> Updating repository catalogue
> digests.txz                                       100% 1082KB   1.1MB/s=
   1.1MB/s   00:00
> packagesite.txz                                   100% 5028KB   4.9MB/s=
   2.6MB/s   00:01
> Incremental update completed, 23171 packages processed:
> 0 packages updated, 0 removed and 23171 added.
> pkg: Unable to find catalogs
> #
>=20
> Any suggestions?
>=20

When upgrading from 1.1.x to 1.2.4_1 I've found it necessary to re-run
pkg about twice in order to get the databases and config files updated.
I generally do something like this:

Starting with 1.1.4:

     pkg install pkg

        This installs pkg-1.2.4_1.  Now edit ${LOCALBASE}/etc/pkg and
        ${LOCALBASE}/etc/pkg/repo.conf or /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf to fix
        the formating to match what pkg-1.2.x expects.

     pkg install pkg

        You should get get a message about updating the schema

     pkg install pkg

       Should pull down the latest digests.txz and packagesite.txz, then
       report 'Nothing to do' since pkg is already fully updated.

Then proceed with 'pkg upgrade' as usual.

I have been using a private pkg repo though, without any crypto
signatures.  If the signatures prevent the above process from working
correctly, then try commenting out the 'signature_type' line in
FreeBSD.conf temporarily.  As you're only affecting the pkg package in
the above, which gets updated by pkg-1.1.4 without any crypto checking
anyhow, you aren't any worse off.

Once you've got pkg upgraded and the databases etc. in synch, then you
can uncomment the 'signature_type' and run:

    pkg install -f pkg

to force a reinstall with all the required signature checking.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.