Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:21:11 -0800
From:      Peter William Lount <peter@ActiveInfo.ca>
To:        courier-users-request@lists.sourceforge.net, ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com>
Subject:   courierfilter.pid not found   during Courier setup

Hi,

When I run the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/courier.sh startup script the following
error occurs:

/var/spool/courier/tmp/courierfilter.pid: Permission denied
 authdaemond courierd esmtpd imapd pop3d

I've checked the ownership and permissions on the /var/spool/courier/tmp/
directory and it is owned by user courier with group courier with
permissions 770.  Is this correct?

I've checked that /usr/local/bin/sendmail has the correct ownership and
permissions. It is owned by root with group wheel, has permissions
executable by all, and is setuid to run as root privilage. Is this correct?

It seems that the "courierfilter.pid" file is not being created or is not
found by "courierfilter.pid". Something is violating the permissions. If I
simply run "courierfilter start" I get the same permission denied error
message.

Is there something wrong with the above permisison settings that is causing
this? Note that many of the other pid and lock files are being created in
the /var/spool/courier/tmp/ directory.

Is there some simple configuration setting that I'm missing that would cause
the "courierfilter.pid" to be not created?

I've started looking trough the source code to see how the "pid" files are
created. It seems that courierfilter.c function "start" calls
"ll_daemon_start()" in file "../liblock/lockdaemon.c" which in turn calls
funtion "ll_daemon_startl()" where an attempt to create the
"courierfilter.pid" file is made. I'm guessing that this is where this fails
with a permission denied. I've tried to run the "strace" command to confirm
this but it doesn't seem to be providing enough info even with the "-v"
strace option.

Any help will be deeply appreciated as I've been attempting to get this
"courier beastie" working for a long while now.

All the best,

Peter