Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:30:29 -0000
From:      "Dave" <dave@g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new user questions. (Before I back myself into a corner!)

On 25 Nov 2010 at 21:25, Polytropon wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 20:00:21 -0000, "Dave" <dave@g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
> wrote: > Lots is written about the 'x' bit, and allowing execution of
> a file, but > not that it affects the ability to even use that
> directory.  I guess in > this context, "using" = "executing", so it
> sort of makes sense.
>
> It is written lots and nicely explained in "man chmod",
> where you can read:
>
>    0100    For files, allow execution by owner.  For directories,
>            allow the owner to search in the directory.
>
>    0010    For files, allow execution by group members.  For directo-
>            ries, allow group members to search in the directory
>
>    0001    For files, allow execution by others.  For directories
>            allow others to search in the directory.
>
> The "1" part of the octal masks refers to the x attribute. In
> relation to directories, it means "search", which you can also
> see when using the "find" program: Directories that are not +x
> cannot be searched.

  Yes, I found that, good info.  I'm relying on the freebsd.org site man
pages and documentation among others, as I'm finding it too inconvenient
(bad short term memory) using the man pages on the system.  At least I
can have the website pages open on a nearby laptop.

> > It appears too, that if one of the group members then creates a new
> > direcory, that inherits the permissions of the parent directory.
>
> You can set default permissions for file creation using the
> umask builtin (e. g. for csh, the default dialog shell); see
> the "man csh" for details.

  The original instructions I used when creating the GPS/NTP server,
resulted in the BASH shell being used.  I think that's part of the odd
problem, as that does not show up in the list of known shell's, when
creating a new user.

> > Next task, to get the ftp server to work on another port.   I might
> > just quit while ahead, and go up the pub though, and leave that till
> > tomorrow.
>
> That's easy: See the -P option explained in "man ftpd". Also
> see /etc/defaults/rc.conf which mentions ftpd_flags.

  Not quite it seems, that parameter only works if the -D is used too I
believe, and with inetd running things.  At present, the system wont
allow that for some odd reason.  No errors, it just ignores it.

> Remember: This is FreeBSD, we have excellent manpages and
> other good documentation. :-)

  Agreed, the documentation is excelent, compared to that available for
many Linux's (with the exception of Debian I've found)  The biggest
difference is the people.  Here in the FreeBSD world, I ask a question, I
get sensible answers, for which I'm eternaly gratefull.   In many LUG's
and other Linux Forums, I often get self opinionated Flames!

  Though the doc's are good, I do find it less than easy to assimilate it
all in a meaningfull way, not coming from a unix background.  But that's
just my problem, and I'm sure the penny will drop sometime soon.

  I've recently installed 8.1 on another sacreficial PC to mess with, so
I can learn "how to" etc, without adversley affecting the NTP server box,
untill I'm sure I know what to do.

  So I know (not being too familier with all this) in simple terms, what
advantages/disadvantages are there, in respects to the different shell's
avalable?   Is there a comparison feature table somewhere?

  As an asside, having got the FTP server working, I then "had an idea"
and ended up breaking it.  Cest la vie...   I'll look to using a stand
alone program/utility I think, that involves less system settings
manipulation.

  Best Regards All.

Dave B.