Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 03:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steven Farmer <slfarmer@swbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup munges /usr/ports?

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Steven Farmer wrote:

>  After getting 2.2-RELEASE installed via ftp, I ran cvsup to pick up
> any recent changes.  The supfile is:
>
> 	*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
> 	*default base=/usr
> 	*default prefix=/usr
> 	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_2
> 	*default delete use-rel-suffix
> 	*default compress
> 	src-all
> 	cvs-crypto
> 	ports-all
>
> The src-all and cvs-crypto updates gave the expected results, but the
> ports-all update replaced everything in /usr/ports with CVS files!  Is
> this right?  This is the fist time I've cvsup'd ports-all, and I was
> expecting the files to be updated, not morphed into something else
> altogether.  If this *is* right, how would I use it?

Yes.  You requested that CVSup give you CVS repositories for all the
specified distributions and put those repositories in /usr.  Since src-all
and cvs-crypto live under /usr/src it turned /usr/src into a CVS
repository.  Similar for /usr/ports; you also gave it permission to
delete, so it assimilated /usr/ports into the CVS repository for ports.

If you want to grab stuff in checkout mode (ie, get _real_ files) you need
to specify a tag.  If you want the most current stuff, then change
ports-all to

ports-all tag=.

tag is any valid CVS tag, ie RELENG_2_2 and so forth.  . is the head.
You can *default this if you want real files for everything.