Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 21:06:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC RAM useless with FreeBSD?

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <60506.946510077@pinhead.parag.codegen.com>, Parag Patel writes:
> >
> >To answer my own question, I finally dug something up that hints at what
> >NASA laptops have to go through:
> >
> >It looks like they have specially certified IBM Thinkpads, and the
> >process is very thorough.
>
> It is probably the military version of the Thinkpads, I've seen them,
> they are quite a bit more heavy than their civilian counterparts.

OT:

There used to be a mil-spec for portable computers.  I remember lugging
around a mil-spec XT clone that was also tempestized (EMI suppressed for
security reasons) in the early 80s to trade shows for the manufacturer.
The thing weighed over 30 lbs without the separate power supply.  But you
could check it as luggage.  I imagine if the enclosure could keep EMI in,
it could prolly keep EMP out...

up@3.am							    http://3.am