Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 05:27:18 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Releases

oliver,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:45:41PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:
>  > On 10 Apr 2001, at 14:48, David O'Brien wrote:
>  > > On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 06:32:15AM +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
>  > > > AFAIK, the thread to date has been about whether or not [something like]
>  > > > the label "-development" would cause less confusion than "-current".  My

snipped for compactness

> Maybe it would reduce confusion somewhat if people would
> just stop saying ``4.1-stable'' etc.  Those simply do not
> exist.
>
> I would also vote for ``uname -r'' saying ``4-STABLE'' and
> appending the date (similar to the snapshot naming), like
> ``4-STABLE-20010509''.  This is much more useful than
> ``4.3-STABLE'', IMO.

actually, given teh granularity of teh cvs system it might be
worthwhile to add hh:mm .. on second thoughts your sugestion is teh
sanest i've seen and personally wonder why it wasn't done like this
fron teh begining.

this is how cvs functions, and give we use cvs why not make it ease fro
people to actually use the resources that are provide by cvs, i.e. the
very system that we use.

with regard and thanks.

jonathan

> Just my 2 Euro cents ...

and my two pacific peso centimes .. heading for 1 us cent and falling