Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:46:27 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adding KASSERT() - DIAGNOSTIC split

I'm planning to split DIAGNOSTIC and add KASSERT(assertion, ("Panic
message", ...)); to the kernel (based on discussion on -hackers about
1/2 year ago).  The changes are:

- Add KASSERT()
- Split DIAGNOSTIC into three options - DIAGNOSTIC, INVARIANTS and
  INVARIANT_SUPPORT.  'INVARIANTS' will take over the documented (but
  not real) meaning of DIAGNOSTIC - activating kernel invariants.
  INVARIANT_SUPPORT is to make it possible to activate INVARIANTS for
  any single file in the system - it enable the compilation of
  functions made for checking data structures, but doesn't enable the
  actual checks.  DIAGNOSTIC will be used to cover extra diagnostic
  messages, but not to enable extra panic()s.
- Change the occurances of #ifdef DIAGNOSTIC in kern/ and vm/ to to
  #ifdef INVARIANTS, #ifdef INVARIANT_SUPPORT, #ifdef DIAGNOSTIC or
  KASSERT() as appropriate.

Patches for all of this is already at
http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/KASSERT.patch

I'll commit these changes within a couple of days unless I get
objections; be warned that I'm converting a lot of DIAGNOSTIC stuff to
KASSERT() form, so if I'm unlucky there may be changes in behaviour
(AKA bugs) in the invariants.  Consider this your heads-up WRT that.

Eivind.