Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 18:54:31 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evil ports!

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> "David S. Geirsson" wrote:
> > Erhm... no, it isn't. For example, the editor "jed" doesn't require X.
> > However, it is packaged with xjed, which is an X frontend. IIRC you had to
> > change a #define in the makefile to disable xjed.
> Understood. I'd be curious to know how many ports fit into that
> category.

Grep through the Makefiles, looking for things that build WITHOUT_X or
WITHOUT_X11 or similar. It seems that the author of the jed port -
unlike the author of the vim and emacs ports - didn't bother
implementing that switch.

> See my other post regarding researching software before installing.

Also see mine on how to fix it so that your system *never* tries to
install X. It's pretty trivial.

> Also, when you consider all the sofware that someone could complain
> should have a global variable like that, the magnitude of iplementing
> such a system, let alone maintaining it, gets considerable.

It's clearly smaller than the effort needed to implement the ports we
already have.

	<mike