Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 14:42:03 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   New x86 on the Block

Well, it seems that more and more "advanced" x86 compatible processros are
coming down on us.

Though not available yet (expected in the second half of this year), IDT
(they make MIPS processors) seems to have grown a new branch to make x86
processors. They say they will be targeting the sub-$1500 market with a
processor that is better that PMMX at the same Mhz :-)

Features:
	1) Large caches. Yes, I mean it - both of the L1 caches are 32K,
	   that is, 64K total. The placement algorithm is LRU
	2) RISC - the thing is internally RISC, everything is translated
	   to RISC intstructions
	3) Simplicity -
		a) only 5.4 million transistors (K6 - 8.8)
		b) Simple branch-prediction
		c) No Out-of-Order, perdictive execution, etc.
	4) Cool - 10.5 watts of heat @ 3.3V.
	5) Crappy FPU - they almost say so outright.

See www.centtech.com

	Sander

PS. I am not in any way conneted with them.