Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:08:25 +0100
From:      "James Seward" <jamesoff@gmail.com>
To:        "Ashley Moran" <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is Active Directory integrated file sharing possible on FreeBSD?

On 9/18/06, Ashley Moran <work@ashleymoran.me.uk> wrote:
> > Winbind is [not?] fully functional on FreeBSD so it doesn't work
> > authenticating with windows, ive tried compiling the Solaris
> > version which is supposedly meant to work but I cant get it to
> > compile.

> I don't know anything about Samba, so I was wondering if someone here
> has seen a similar setup working.  Is it really impossible to do what
> I want?

In a previous job I've had squid using winbindd to do user
authentication against a native-mode Windows Server 2003 domain; I'd
say it works pretty well. Due to it being a previous job I can't
recall/lookup the exact procedure I went though to do it, but you just
have to join the BSD machine to the domain. IIRC this used to be done
with "smbpasswd -J" but I think they changed that to a new tool.

/JMS