Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 23:01:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help, processes not getting killed when users exit

Hello,

[I'm using FreeBSD 2.1-R]

I've noticed that some of my processes aren't getting killed when
the connection is broken, and I've been trying to figure out why
this is. Some of the programs which (sometimes) stay alive include
'vi' and 'irc'... they go into a loop trying to perform I/O on
the pty and drive up CPU usage like mad (they don't seem to check
the result of their read() calls.)

Suppose a remote telnet connection disconnects. Telnetd notices
it, calls cleanup(), and exits. How do the shell and the application
get notified ? I.e., which process is responsible in sending a
SIGHUP to the user's processes ?

Thanks in advance,

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - www: <http://hemi.com/>;