Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:38:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Danny Howard <dannyman@tellme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: fdisk & disklabel dont work!

[redirected to -questions]

On Monday,  9 April 2001 at 18:58:00 -0700, Danny Howard wrote:
> Okay, so, I'm BTX booting diskless workstation on a 4.2-R system with two SCSI
> drives and an Adaptec controller.
>
> I can very very very easily install a systerm in dangerously dedicated mode as
> follows:
> disklabel -r -w da0 auto
> (Then write the disklabel the way I want, newfs everything, be done with it.)
>
> This is great, except the system will then refuse to boot.  PXE boot
> crashes and SCSI boot hangs, and the explanation I can find is that
> the Adaptec controller is pissed off about the dangerously dedicated
> mode and ends up diving by zero.

That's maybe the explanation you can find, but I doubt it's correct.
I have lots of dedicated installations running with Adaptec host
adaptors, and it works fine.

> Okay, so let's do it the right way.
>
> Nearly two weeks later, I'M STILL STUCK.
>
> I've read about MBRs and why disklabel can't label an fdisk partition, but
> maybe now it can, but first you have to dd anywhere between one and 128 blocks
> on the disk before the magic incantations work properly ...
>
> Here's what I try to do:
>
> fdisk -I da0
> disklabel -r -w da0s1 auto
>
> Okay.  Any time after the very first fdisk when booting up, I get kernel
> messages about how da0 and da0s1 have no disk labels, and nothing works.  I
> have tried zeroing out any number of sectors, various variations of fdisk,
> disklabel ... dd'ing the start of a working system on to the system in
> question ... nowhere!  Nada!  AUGHGHGHG!!!!  Disklabel JUST WON'T FUNCTION!!!
> (I can always read fdisk with accuracy, even if the kernel is spitting out log
> messages about how there is no label.  Why should fdisk da0 care if da0s1 has
> a label?)
>
> I have tried low-level SCSI format of disks, commands on the second disk ...
> not even disklabel -r -w da0 auto works any more ... always the same flavor of
> errors.  For example:
>
> # disklabel -r -w da0s1 auto
> /kernel: da0: cannot find label (no disk label)
> /kernel: da0: cannot find label (no disk label)
> /kernel: da0s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
> /kernel: da0s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
> /kernel: da0: cannot find label (no disk label)
> /kernel: da0: cannot find label (no disk label)
> /kernel: da0s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
> /kernel: da0s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
> disklabel: auto: unknown disk type
>
> Anyone has any idea?  Maybe there's something really subtle that I am doing
> wrong?

Well, you're not showing much output.  The output of disklabel and
fdisk with no options would be interesting, as would the exact kernel
error messages you're seeing.  The *relevant* parts of dmesg output
(i.e. relating to the disk probes) would also be interesting.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.