Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:48:01 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Rick Hoppe <mailing@rickhoppe.nl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail broken after upgrade 4.4-RELEASE to 4.5-STABLE

Greetings,

  I think it has to do with mail wrapper, rather than just sendmail.
  sendmail is most likely not built, but mailwrapper is.

  /usr/sbin/sendmail  is no longer the sendmail binary in FreeBSD for
  quite a while already.  It is now a link to mailwrapper.

  When you installed sendmail 8.12.2, you probably overwrite the
  mailwrapper binary.  If that is the case, now the mailwrapper
  overwrites your sendmail 8.12.2 instalation.

  You should install your sendmail into /usr/local  or something
  like that, and use mailwrapper to point to it /etc/mail/mailer.conf

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Crist J. Clark's email