Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:15:11 -0300
From:      Gustavo Pamplona <pamplona@uai.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Something like booting from disk images (just/only completing)

Hi.

What I want is a program that get a disk image already written in disk, (I
dont'know) write it to a ram disk and boot from the ramdisk.

Some/Any * kind of DOS based program .?

* I don't know if the right form is interrogative or affirmative.

Something like "LOADLIN.EXE" for Linux or "FBSDBOOT.EXE" * , but not just
for kernel images.=20

* Since the kernel was compiled for a.out format/shape.=20

For example:

I get the boot.flp from freebsd floppy disk image, or a DOS boot disk
already written, for example, "dosboot.img".

The dosboot.img have a total file size of 1474560 bytes, in other words a
reliable disk image of the first MS-DOS disk. (Of a three setup disks,
MS-DOS 6.22)

Again, something like it.=20

# dd if=3D/dev/fd0c of=3D/dosboot.img bs=3D512 count=3D2880

And, I don't know, the program get the file dosboot.img, write to the RAM,
and again, I don't know, handle the INT 19 (DOS based interruption), clean
all the MS-DOS registers, and proceed to load the disk as it have been
inserted in the floppy drive. in other words, the normal way of booting a
MS-DOS Setup Disk.

Do you understand me. The program get the disk image, write to RAM, and
boot from RAM, something like with calling the first three sectors from a
boot disk.=20

The BIOS do this with Diskettes or Hard Drives, Bios try to run/execute *
the first three sectors of bother, put them to the BIOS boot code and
finally the disk is booted on the RAM.

* I don't know the right verb.

In other words, for example:

One beautiful day I decide to install Minix, so, what I do, I get the disk
image already written at disk, and I write this command of a DOS Prompt

c:\>rambootd minix.img

'rambootd' is the name of the program that would do the boot procedure from
ram disk.

At this point, the minix.img is written to the RAM, and the program handle
the Int 19h, of way that the RAM contents will not be cleaned. And,
tchantchantchann.

Minix is already loaded and running perfectly well.

As I already said in my previous e-mail, I don't have no floppy drives,
cause I have a Colorado Jumbo 250 MB Floppy Tape Drive and I usually use
CD-ROM to boot my system.

I would stay so happy who can answer my question. 8-) and more happy who
can write to me my Englsh errors.=20

My english is BAD. It's logic, I need to build the sentence in Portuguese
in my mind/brain for after build it again in English.

If anybody have interesting? I can give some Portuguese lessons.

Meu Ingl=EAs =E9 RUIM, =C9 l=F3gico, Eu preciso construir a senten=E7a em Po=
rtugu=EAs
em meu c=E9rebro para depois construir ela de novo em Ingl=EAs

Se algu=E9m tiver interesse? Eu posso dar algumas aulas de Portugu=EAs.

[]'s and Thanx.=20

=09