Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 18:42:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU (Annelise Anderson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

Lo and behold, Annelise Anderson once said:

> It sounds like the sys admin--or anyone with root privileges--can
> read absolutely everything going on--all e-mail in and out, all
> keyboard activity, and so forth.  Is this right?  Thanks
> Annelise

   Completely correct.  The biggest risk is that if one of the machines
on your network is compromised, you can sniff passwords in the clear
across the local ethernet.  Not a pretty situation. :)  Switched
ethernets are a bit better, but still not perfect.

   Actually reading & interpreting all of that material is a pain in the
butt, but there are tools out there which can do it.

EnGarde (http://www.EnGarde.com/) has several tools along these lines,
some free, some commercial.  ttywatcher can snoop to an extent
(ftp://coast.cs.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/ttywatcher/) or their
commercial IP-watcher, which can also take over a session remotely and do
other neat tricks.

(I'm not affiliated with them, I've just seen their web pages before)

   -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)