Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:37:15 -0500
From:      Jim Manley <jmanley@metronet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmanley@metronet.com
Subject:   4.1-RC hangs on boot

Okay.  After gleaning the mail archives of the last two weeks, I managed =
sort out what was required to get a kernel built to with the post 7/6 sou=
rces.

I cvsup'd my 4.0-stable sources on 7/11 and used the following procedure
to build sources and kernel:

# make buildworld (no problems encountered here)
# make buildkernel KERNEL=3DMYKERNEL (no problems)
# make installkernel KERNEL=3DMYKERNEL (Now I had a kernel called "MYKERN=
EL" in /)
# cd /
# chflags noschg kernel
# mv kernel kernel.old
# chflags noschg MYKERNEL
# mv MYKERNEL kernel
# chflags schg kernel
# shutdown now
# make installworld (no problems here)
# mergemaster (basically installed all the updated files except /etc/rc.c=
onf,
/etc/hosts, and a few others that I had previously modified)
# reboot

Here's where things went to hell in a handbasket.  The system loads the n=
ew
kernel and starts to boot.  On the screen, I get to=20

=09'Doing inital network setup: hostname ."

and it hangs up.  Won't respond to the keyboard.  I have to reset the har=
dware
to recover.

I've gone through the rc.network script and, by placing a judicious numbe=
r of
"echo" commands, found that I'm getting to the portion of the script that=
 deals
with DHCP:

=09dhcp_interfaces=3D""
=09for ifn in ${network_interfaces}; do
=09=09if [ -r /etc/start_if.${ifn} ]; then
=09=09=09. /etc/start_if.${ifn}
=09=09=09eval showstat_$ifn=3D1
=09=09fi

=09=09# Do the primary ifconfig if specified
=09=09#
=09=09eval ifconfig_args=3D\$ifconfig_${ifn}
=09=09echo $ifconfig_args  #jim added

I know I'm getting this far since the echo statement I added spews out va=
lues
for $ifconfig_args.
=20
 =09=09case ${ifconfig_args} in
=09=09'')
=09=09=09;;
=09=09[Dd][Hh][Cc][Pp])
=09=09=09# DHCP inits are done all in one go below
=09=09=09dhcp_interfaces=3D"$dhcp_interfaces $ifn"
=09=09=09eval showstat_$ifn=3D1
=09=09=09;;

Don't use DHCP so it's not set in either /etc/defaults/rc.conf or /etc/rc=
=2Econf.

=09=09*)
=09=09=09ifconfig ${ifn} ${ifconfig_args}

Here's where things die since I never get the output of the ifconfig  com=
mand
that I do when I boot the old (pre 7/6 4.0-stable) kernel file.

=09=09=09eval showstat_$ifn=3D1
=09=09=09;;
=09=09esac
=09done

If I reboot the machine and load /kernel.old, everything works just fine =
(well,
I did have to turn off the linux emulation).

I've gone through the email archives since 7/1 and haven't found where an=
yone
else has reported a similar problem.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help.

Regards,

Jim