Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 12:28:23 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        dan@freebsddiary.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world fails : file exists

Dan Langille wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2000, at 12:17, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > Dan Langille wrote:
> > >
> > > In my continuing 4-day saga to get 4.0-stable compiled, I encountered the
> > > following error during make world:
> > >
> > > cc -O -pipe -I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl -
> > > I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl/../../../../contrib/perl5 -
> > > I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -c
> > > /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl/../../../../contrib/perl5/toke.c -o
> > > toke.o mkdir: build: File exists *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/src.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/src.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/src.
> >
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > Did you remove the files from /usr/obj/*?
> >
> > I've done 3 cvsups and builds in the last two days on 3 different
> > machines and haven't had any problems.
>
> Yep.  I did this:
>
>         chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/;
>         rm -rf /usr/obj/*;
>         rm -rf /usr/tmp/*;

That takes care of original files with permission problems. I don't do
make world's. I read where that was a good way to ruin your universe
and started doing buildworlds, creating and installing the kernel,
rebooting to single user mode to do the installworld. The way it was
explained to me was that left you with your original world via
/kernel.old in case something happened.

Since I'm not having any problems and don't have any ideas at this
point, are your just updating your 4.0-Stable or are you moving from
4.0R to 4.0S?

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/bomber.jpg